Munich Foundation Festival

June 17 and 18, 2017

Marienplatz and around


History
Around 1000 years ago a group of Benedictine monks established a small settlement on the Petersberg hill. They called the settlement "Ze den Munichen", literally "to the monks". Accordingly, Munich's coat of arms today bears the image of a child in a monk's habit, the "Münchner Kindl". However it was a bold act of Henry the Lion, the Duke of Saxony and Bavaria, that Munich became a marketplace and later a city. In 1156 the profitable toll bridge at Föhring built by the Bishop of Freising attracted the attention of Duke Henry. This bridge was the only passage over the river Isar in the southern part of Bavaria and an important point of the salt trade road from Reichenhall and Salzburg. Duke Henry burned down the wooden toll bridge at Föhring and built his own bridge at the monk's settlement "Munichen" so that he could collect the tolls. On the foot of the monk's settlement a marketplace was established (today Marienplatz). Bishop Otto of Freising protested to the emperor Frederick Barbarossa. After two years of dispute the emperor sactioned the move of the bridge and confirmed the right to collect toll and to establish a marketplace and mint money. The day of the emperor's decision, 14 June 1158, is looked on as the date of Munich's founding.

The City of Munich will celebrate the 859th anniversary of its founding with a two-days festival for its citizens and visitors. During the two days are offered many attractions, e.g. several stages with perfomances of musicians, dancers and other artists, a craftsmen market and a special area for children.

Saturday 10 am - 11 pm and Sunday 10 am - 10 pm.




Back to the Homepage